5 Healthy Holiday Drinks: From Seriously Basic to Tom Cruise Level
Updated: Dec 27, 2018
It’s the holidays… and you know what that means? You can officially have a cheeky drink at midday if you like (lol) However before you get TOO carried away we suggest that if you’re going to embrace the silliness of the season then you proceed with SOME caution...
By all means have a great time, but there’s no need to compromise your health, values OR your tastebuds.
Conventional beer and wine are often laden with preservatives and have a whole bunch of hidden sugar and carbs in them. RTD’s are practical, but also practically refined sugar water. And cocktails can contain all kinds of ingredients that may or may not be so fab for your health.
Which is why we’ve created our 5 top HEALTHY drinks for the holidays.
We’ve done it in a way that caters to everyone, from easy AF to a little more technical –so really there’s no excuse.
Serves: 1 - 4
• Conventionally made wines have zero regulations as far as pesticide control, sprays, practices, and fining agents go — they can spray what they want, whenever they want. A bottle of conventionally produced wine can contain up to 250 different types of chemicals. These chemicals and preservatives can often be what lead to nasty hangovers.
INGREDIENTS • Raw Vine Estate Organic Wine from The Little Hen (Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Shiraz, Pinot Gris, Rosé, Sparking)
• Open it
• Drink it
(told you this was easy)
Kombucha & Vodka Serves: 2
• Packed full of probiotics, kombucha aids digestion, helps Detox, improves immune system, and a whooooole lot more –it’s basically a wonder drink. It is also pretty much the antithesis of traditional soft drinks,whom can often sneak into spirit based drinks at this time of year. Little Hen stocks over 20 different favours of Kombucha, so there’s a flavour for everyone.
• Vodka is generally considered a lower-calorie drink, so is great for those watching their waistline.
• 750ml bottle LoBros Kombucha (on special 2 for $14 at Little Hen)
• Vodka of choice
METHOD • Mix vodka and kombucha (you know how strong you like it ;)
• Add ice
(see, still god damn easy)
Spirulina Pina Colada
Serves 6 BENEFITS
• The superfood spirulina is arguably the most nutrient-dense food on the planet, and spirulina benefits major health concerns such as cancer, Candida and more.
• Here’s the trick with anything you’re adding spirulina too: be sure to add tons of other delicious flavours, you might be a bit put off by the smell of spirulina when you first open the jar, but have no fear, when mixed with plenty of fruity pineapple and creamy coconut flavour, any off-taste is gone and all you’re left with is this beautiful colour!!
• 120ml white rum
• 400g organic coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon spirulina
• 2 cups ice
• 3 1/2 cups frozen organic pineapple
• 180ml organic pineapple juice
• Organic Pineapple wedges for garnish (optional)
METHOD Place all ingredients in a blender and puree on high until everything is combined. Pour into glasses and garnish with a pineapple wedge, if desired.
(as simple as making your morning smoothie)
Fresh Ginger Moscow Mule
• Ginger is one of the oldest ‘superfoods’ in the book, It has also been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes.
Possible health benefits include relieving nausea, loss of appetite, motion sickness, and pain.
• Traditionally made with ginger beer or ginger ale, making your own Moscow mules from scratch are easy, and a whole lot better for you because you’ll know EXACTLY what’s in it.
INGREDIENTS • 60ml vodka
• 3 teaspoons organic ginger (peeled and grated)
• 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 4 leaves organic basil
• 50ml freshly squeezed organic orange juice
• 50ml fresh organic lime juice
• 1/2 cup soda water
organic lime and/or orange wedges for garnish
• In a mug or cup, add sugar, ginger and basil and gently muddle for a few second until basil becomes fragrant (until you can smell it).
• Add vodka and stir well until sugar has completely dissolved.
• Add orange juice, lime juice and a few ice cubes (3 or 4 big cubes) and stir.
• Add soda water and give it a quick stir.
• garnished with lime and orange wedges.
(requires a small amount of effort)
LEVEL 5Roast Strawberry Margarita with Aquafarba Whip
• Strawberries are packed with vitamins, fibre, and particularly high levels of antioxidants known as polyphenols. They are a sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie food. Strawberries are among the top 20 fruits in antioxidant capacity and are a good source of manganese and potassium.
• Roasting peak-season strawberries intensifies their sweetness and elevates the flavour.
• Aquafaba, the viscous fluid from canned chickpeas that you normally rinse down the drain, has become the silver bullet to making plant-based whipped topping.
INGREDIENTS • 1 kg fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
• 1 can unsalted chickpeas, undrained
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 6 cups ice
• 1,5 cups silver tequila
• 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (from about 5 limes)
• 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
• 3 tablespoons light agave nectar
• Preheat oven to 190°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with baking paper. Place strawberry halves, salt, and 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Spread strawberries in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 190° for 25 minutes. Let strawberries cool slightly, about 20 minutes.
• Drain liquid from can of chickpeas into bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment (reserve chickpeas for another use). Add vanilla and cream of tartar to chickpea liquid, and beat on medium-high speed, gradually adding remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, until soft peaks form, 6 to 8 minutes.
• Transfer roasted strawberries and juice from pan to a high-powered blender. Add ice, tequila, lime juice, mint leaves, and agave nectar. Process on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Pour evenly into each of 8 glasses; top each with about 1/3 cup aquafaba whip.
(Tom Cruise level, but incredibly impressive)